Poetry and Architecture of a Monastery

I’m going to devote an entire post to one of my favourite places in LisbonMosteiro dos Jerónimos.

Before flying out to Portugal I read a post by Katherina of 100 Miles Highway on the Manueline architecture of the Jeronimos Monastery. Katherina shared a beautiful photo essay of the exterior of the monastery, and I knew I had to visit. Am I glad I did! The interior was even more breathtaking than I could have imagined. I spent several hours admiring the ornate arabasques, running my fingers over the limestone, and watching the sun cast a glow over this architectural masterpiece.

Ceilings Inside the Jeronimos Monastery in Portugal

Architecture of the Jeronimos Monastery in Portugal

Architecture of the Jeronimos Monastery in Portugal

It’s not enough to open the window
To see the fields and the river.
It’s also not enough to not be blind
To see the trees and the flowers.

Poetry in the Jeronimos Monastery in Portugal

Sleep? Only sleeps a cold
corpse, which does not feel;
the soul flies to shelter
at the feet of the Almighty.

Poetry inside the Jeronimos Monastery

Have you visited the monastery?

• Dominique says:

Lovely photos! Can’t wait to see it for myself one day. 🙂

• phillegitimate says:

Great little feature! Lisbon was a huge (and pleasant) surprise to me, partly because of places like this. Back when I was there, they had an exhibition about the European colonies, which made extra sense to me because this reminded me a lot of some of the monasteries and convents in Mexico and South America. Anyway, another really nice post….

• Jenna says:

Wow, this is quite an amazing place. I saw Katherina’s post, too, and I love that you showed us the interior since we got to see the exterior in her photos.

• Katherina says:

Wow! The interior is incredible! I knew I should have waited that long line… it’s mostly a sign of being worth to visit. I’m definitely considering another trip to Lisbon not too far from now (I need to take advantage of having one of my best friends – who happens to be portuguese – living there!).

I visited at noon and it was practically desolate. I guess everyone was having lunch! But there was definitely a looong line when I walked out in the afternoon. 🙂

• Gaby says:

What an unbelievably beautiful place! Your photos are breathtaking!

• Scott - Quirky Travel Guy says:

That is really beautiful… and quite ambitious considering it was built many years ago.

• Suzy says:

Like Katherina, I just visited the outside due to a long line on a hot summer day. Your photos really make me wish I went inside. I love all of the details on the architecture, coupled with the quotes you found throughout.

• Mack Reynolds says:

this place looks truly magnificent. and i don’t ever get the chance to use “magnificent.” i can only imagine how good it felt wandering throughout. really good photos.