I’m Looking for the King of Bollywood

by Audrey on October 30, 2011 · 13 comments

Living in a multicultural city like Toronto, my high school days were spent becoming acquainted with Indian music, food and cinema.

At school I shared a locker with a friend who was really into Bollywood. As a result, the place was plastered in photos of Indian actors, dancers and singers. I must admit I wasn’t very impressed at first – you know, being greeted by Bollywood’s smiling faces every morning, but it eventually grew on me and it wasn’t long before I too learned their names. Namely, Shahrukh Khan – King Khan – The King of Bollywood.

Sharuhk Khan's Home in India

I still remember the first Indian movie I watched at a birthday party while eating samosas – I could not take my eyes off the screen! Perfectly choreographed dance moves, sarees in every colour under the rainbow, gold bangles and nose rings, and dance scenes that jumped across continents without any explanation. It was fascinating!

Last summer I went to India for the first time, and it so happened that my last day in Mumbai was spent in the suburb of Bandra. Now you’re probably thinking, the suburbs? Really, what can suburbia have to offer? Well, Bandra happens to be home to the rich and famous, and that can only mean one thing – Bollywood stars! And of course, my gracious hosts for the day were more than willing to drive around, pointing out the actors’ homes. (Note: These homes are hard to miss as the majority have clusters of fans waiting by the gates, hoping to catch a glimpse of their idol!)

And behold there it was – Mannat’, home to the King of Bollywood.

Khan's Mansion in Bandra

I practically leapt out of the car, camera in tow. My friends back home would never believe this without proof! Giddy with excitement I pointed and posed while the nearby guards stared, probably wondering what this foreigner knew about Shahrukh Khan.I even pressed my nose against the gates hoping to get a peek… Yeah, I really played it real cool that day.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see Mr. Khan on that occasion, but I hear he has a home at the Palm Jumeira in Dubai, so he may just get another visit if I ever swing by the UAE.

Sosha October 31, 2011 at 2:46 am

Ah! You missed seeing Shah Rukh :(

Sometimes, on festive occasions, his birthday, etc, he’s comes out to the first floor balcony to wave out to people.

If you’re still in Mumbai,his biggest home production (starring him, of course!) released last week. I’ll warn you, the film’s panned by the critics and all that, but since you’re his fan, you’ll enjoy it :D

thatbackpacker November 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Haha, I just watched the trailer. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him as a superhero, now this is something different! :D

Sosha October 31, 2011 at 2:46 am

Oh, the film’s name: Ra One.

Zhu October 31, 2011 at 10:40 am

Bollywood is amazing, isn’t it? I mean, I’m not even close to the Indian culture and don’t know much about it, but these songs and dances are just irresistible!

Even I’ve heard of Mr. Khan!

His houses is less protected than the ones of the rich and famous in Malibu though :lol:

thatbackpacker November 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm

It really pulls you in! The music is so catchy I can’t help wanting to dance along, haha ;)

Heather October 31, 2011 at 8:25 pm

When I make it to India one day, I’m hoping to be an extra in a Bollywood film! Love the music and dance!

thatbackpacker November 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That would be amazing!!! I would love to be on set for a lavish wedding or party scene ;)

OM Ji November 30, 2011 at 1:13 pm

so when u want to come back?

Cheers..
Om
India

Nomadic Samuel November 3, 2011 at 7:41 am

I quite enjoyed Bollywood movies while travelling in India. I was sick so often that it was often the most entertaining thing on television.

Deidre November 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I quite enjoy a good Bollywood movie now and again. The dance scenes are just incredible and I love all the colours!

Suzy Guese November 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

How cool you got to see the home of the man whose face you saw for years in your locker! I have heard of other travelers being extras in Bollywood films when the go to India. That would be fun to do, especially if the king of Bollywood was in the film!

wandering soul January 8, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I can never imagine Mannat as one of the tourist destination of Mumbai….. you are visiting so off beat… :)
wandering soul recently posted..Rock Climbing at Dhauj, HaryanaMy Profile

Prasad Np April 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm

We all are in awe of King Khan, and have had our photo op in front of his house….. : )
Prasad Np recently posted..A Gandhian and a Plantation Homestay in Wayanad KeralaMy Profile