Off to a Foreign Land

Exciting things have been brewing over the past few months, and after many Skype interviews, gathering far too much paperwork, and several trips down to the consulate; I now have a fancy little stamp in my passport that will grant me entry into a country I have never visited, yet will be moving to in a matter of weeks days!

Rooftop Details

But let me give you a few hints about this mysterious destination before I reveal it (though perhaps my incessant tweeting and the picture above already have):

– This country was once a Japanese colony

– It has the world’s highest estimated national IQ (Are you serious?!)

– They cloned the world’s first dog – Snuppy (I had no idea a dog had ever been cloned!)

– On weekends you’ll likely find me drinking soju and shouting ‘gumbay!’

– It has one of the world’s most heavily fortified borders

– I’ll probably end up singing off-key in more than one noraebang

– and when people snap a photo I’ll be saying ‘kimchi‘ instead of ‘cheese’

So have you guessed it?

Do you know where I’m heading?

SOUTH KOREA!

Yes, I will be going where many a graduate has gone before. South Korea, meet your latest recruit! I’ll be teaching English in a city not too far from Seoul and I cannot wait to meet my students, get lost in the city, have awkward lost in translation moments at the market, order random food off a menu because I can’t read hangul, and have a grand old time!

Have you taught/lived/worked in Korea?

• Tee says:

Congrats on the job/move! I visited Seoul last year and I loved it.

• phillegitimateh says:

I spent a year in Korea too. The really crucial question is: where will you be? I was in a very rural area, and can’t say it was much fun, but I spent many, many weekends in Seoul, which I loved. Ultimately the balance was good, too; you miss out on a lot if you don’t explore beyond Seoul. I had friends in Seoul who had never seen squat toilets. I couldn’t even imagine what Korea would look like without squatters.

I’ll be in Yongin which isn’t too far from Seoul, so I’ll definitely be getting my dose of city life. But I’ll be sure to get out there and explore the rural side – I already have my eye on the Boseong tea fields.

When I saw the picture, I thought “China”, then I read the bit about the Japanese colony and thought “Taiwan!”

I’m too chino-centric 😆

I’m not help for Korea as I’ve never been there but all the people I know who taught English there loved it. Congrats!

Haha, I can see the Chinese influence for sure. 😀 That would’ve been my first guess prior to reading up on South Korea.

• Rachel says:

Awesome! I’m living in Incheon now, where in the Seoul area will you be?

• kknott says:

Amazing! Congrats! Excited to read about your future adventures 🙂

• Modern Seoul says:

건배 (cheers) and welcome to Korea, coming for someone who was in your position not so long ago (well 3 years ago : )), your in for an exciting ride. Good luck.

• Stephanie - The Travel Chica says:

Very exciting! I look forward to hearing about your new home.

• Alison says:

Sounds great, I’m sure this will be an amazing adventure. I initially thought Japan from the picture 🙂

• Sally says:

I’ve been to Seoul a few times & have loved it. I would love to go back to Korea to live, and am actually surprised I haven’t yet. There is so much good food, good fun and hot men there I think if I moved there I would never leave!
    Good luck & I look forward to hearing your stories.

• Thats so exciting. I can’t wait to read about it!

• Sarah's toothbrush says:

Obviously I’m PUMPED for you!

I can’t wait to meet up and have all sorts of watered-down beer together! Now, that sounds like fun, doesn’t it? 🙂

Mmm mmm, watered-down beer. Sounds…refreshing! 😀

And I’ve been working on my Hangul. You know, so I can read a language I don’t actually speak… Should be fuuun!

• Sheena Rae says:

Have an absolutely wonderful time – I have a few friends who have said that teaching in Korea has changed them for the better! I look forward to following your adventure!

• Quite an adventure! Wish you all the best 🙂

• This Battered Suitcase says:

How exciting!! My best friend has been living in Korea for almost 5 years now. She makes lots of great videos on life as an expat: http://www.youtube.com/expatkerri

• Pris Killingly says:

Ah, congrats to you! I’ve really been contemplating making that leap too. Maybe i’ll get inspired now that you’ll be blogging about it 😉

• Shivya says:

Never been, but I hear South Korea is beautiful, especially during the winter. Look forward to reading about your adventures 🙂

• Great post just found your site, can’t wait to read more.