Boseong Tea Fields: A Tea Lover’s Dream

I am currently sitting in my apartment drinking a cup of Boseong green tea. Mmm, tea!

It was England that made me an avid tea drinker. It was there that I discovered that there was more to life than Tetley, and so a new obsession began – one that resulted in me stuffing bags of Yumchaa loose leaf into my suitcase. Then again, how can you resist a tea with a name like Berry Berry Nice, Mango Sunrise or Chilli Chilli Bang Bang?

So during my time in Korea I thought it would be fitting to visit the nation’s best known tea plantation – the Boseong Tea Fields.

Boseong Tea Fields, South Jeolla Province, Korea

The town of Boseong is sleepy at best. We arrived at a crumbling bus terminal – cracked walls, squatter toilets, a disinterested attendant at the ticket window. A quick stroll through the area revealed more dogs than people, and more tractors than cars, and with those figures in check we boarded the bus for the tea fields.

Sweet Ride by the Boseong Bus Terminal

Having been dropped off by the side of the highway, we followed the road that led up a tree lined path, which in turn revealed breathtaking hills of green safely tucked away from peering eyes.

Audrey overlooking the tea fields

Be prepared for lots of steps, and when you find yourself gasping for air rest assured, the views will be worth it! I took my time wandering down the the rows of tea bushes and chewed on a few leaves for good measure. Best part of it – I hiked up the mountain in a pair of flip flops with a weighty backpack strapped on. Now that’s the face of success!

And how do I treat myself after climbing up a tea-laden mountain and making my way down a muddy slope? With a cup of green tea ice cream, of course!

Getting there:

Catch a bus bound for Boseong from the Gwangju Bus Terminal. The journey is one hour and a half and the views are quite scenic. Once you arrive at the Boseong Bus Terminal you’ll need to get on another bus headed for the tea fields, and it’s a short 15 minute ride.

• Jackie D says:

This is ridiculously/unfairly pretty. I love that shot of the green rows of fields — it looks like they go on forever!

• Naomi says:

Boseong is SO gorgeous – especially if you catch it with fog coming over all those rows of tea. What a good trip 🙂

Yes! I’ve heard it’s beautiful in the morning with the mist rolling over, but I just couldn’t get up that early…haha 😀

• AvaApollo says:

OOoh! I love tea tourism! I chain-drink green tea all day during the week. Tastes so good. How gorgeous this place looks.

• Heather - GingerNomads says:

Mmmmm…. Tea. I really wanted to make it to some tea plantations when I was in SE Asia but alas, Burma called instead. Looks amazing though and nothing beats a good cuppa.

• Sheryll says:

I need to get here ASAP! It looks beautiful! And I’m a huge tea snob, so this is right up my alley!

The place is beautiful! So different from the bustle of Seoul. I’m really looking forward to exploring Korea’s rural side! 😀

• You walked all the way up there in flip-flops? Hats off to you! Those tea fields look gorgeous… I am sure they will have me ruing my lack of cardio fitness, but I really can’t wait to see some tea fields when I’m in Asia!

I sure did! I had a pair of running shoes – they were just in the bottom of my backpack…haha. It certainly was a cardio workout!

That’s awesome! I’m also a tea drinker and I would be very curious to see tea plantations. They looks so good! So green!

• Michelle says:

Mmm…I love tea as well! That photo of the tea field looks really cool!

• Mark Wiens says:

That looks like a really beautiful place – and tea is just such a great beverage as well!

It really was a beautiful place, and the ice cream they made was delicious! I’m looking forward to checking out some more tea fields in Asia. 😀

• Waegook Tom says:

Great post and photos – this has reminded me that I need to get myself to Boseong soon, too! My partner when there a month or two ago with his family and loved it.
    Waegook Tom recently posted..5 Things I Wish I Could Tell My BossMy Profile

• Jenna says:

I love tea, too, and this looks like a nice way to connect with it. The green tea field is incredibly green!

• Jaime says:

Morocco made me an avid tea drinker and since then I try not to drink much of it because when I do I have to have loads of sugar in it and well I know it’s not healthy for me. I visited a tea planation in India. Darjeeling ah it was a beautiful town up high in the mountains and I loved seeing the rows & rows of tea plants. It’s crazy though how steep some of the sides are and that they still have to be picked. Green Tea ice cream sounds so good right now!
    Jaime recently posted..Faces of India in photos.My Profile

• gelaikuting says:

I’d love to visit tea plantation 🙂 kudos!
    gelaikuting recently posted..MT. MACULOT : my birthday climbMy Profile