A Date in Daejeon

This past weekend Sam and I took the train down to Daejeon. This little bustling city is located smack dab in the middle of South Korea, and that means it gets really hot in the summertime!

Audrey in Daejeon

Our day was spent doing very touristy things like hiding inside a supermarket to escape the heat (oh yes!), and sampling local Korean delicacies like green tea ice cream, bulgogi, and aloe water… Okay, who am I kidding, so we walked around the aisles and snacked on free food the way you would at your local Costco…

I did manage to get my hands on oatmeal cookies, nutella, and sushi, but alas no deodorant. At least my stomach will be happy even if my armpits do start smelling… (It’s okay, I’m good for another month people.) And I’m still on the hunt for Dove deodorant, so if any of you know where I can get my hands on some of that pomegranate scented stuff do let me know!

When we weren’t hiding inside E-Mart, we did manage to visit the Yuseong Foot Spa. I wobbled like an ajumma ever so gracefully as the water burns my little toes.

We also checked out the traditional markets located just outside Daejeon Station. I’m all about street food but I can’t say the dishes being cooked up in this market looked very appetizing…especially the gurgling meat.

I love that pic with the very strong focus and depth of field. Awesome!

I’m always hunting for deo in Canada, I hate the Canadian brands (they don’t seem to work for me). Thankfully, I sometimes find some Nivea deo and I stock up!
    Zhu recently posted..Three Faux Pas I (Must Have) Committed When I Came to CanadaMy Profile

I’m glad to say I did manage to get my hands on some deodorant this weekend! I made my way over to one of the ‘foreign neighbourhoods’ by the American military base, haha! 😀

• Waegook Tom says:

If you think Daejeon gets hot, go to Daegu! I came to Daejeon really often last summer to stay cool!!! Daegu’s a roaster of a city in the summer. It feels nice and cool here to me, but I’ll still be standing next to an aircon wherever possible until September.

Ahh Yuseong…people in Daejeon say that everyone else in Korea thinks Yuseong is AMAZING when it comes to spas, but really it’s crap and based on glory days from long ago. I can vouch – the spas here are rubbish, with the exception of one pretty famous one.

Did you check out Dunsan, the new city area? Super glitzy and awesome! If you’re ever here for a night out, make sure you hit up Gung-dong around Chungnam University – lots of fun, and much cheaper than Dunsan at night.
    Waegook Tom recently posted..That Racist MBC VideoMy Profile

So Daejeon is your home!

I didn’t get to explore Dunsan. I mostly stuck to the area by the train station where they have all the restaurants, bars and shops. Looks like it would be a pretty happening place at night.

Haha, I was expecting the the foot spa to be a bit larger, but it was fun nonetheless. I liked that it was free and anyone can go and enjoy it anytime of day. Would be nice to warm up your feet in the wintertime if it’s still open! 😀

• Krista says:

What a fun day out! 🙂 I love meandering, happy days like that. 🙂
    Krista recently posted..Serendipity at the Blue Grotto of MaltaMy Profile

It was a fun day! I’m trying to do more little day outings on the weekends to see a bit more of Korea. 🙂

• The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) says:

That foot spa looks like so much fun! I’m all about the free activities, too!
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..The Weekly Worldview: Iglesia de San FranciscoMy Profile

• Sooo I’m just catching up on everything after being away in Cali… I’m loving the presence of “the boy” on your blog. I’m pumped for you!
    Colleen Brynn recently posted..San Franciscan Highlights: I Ate ItMy Profile

• Antoinette B. | love.antoinette says:

On a hot summer day, you can never go wrong with stinky feet and foot spa! Goes hand in hand!
    Antoinette B. | love.antoinette recently posted..Hanging with the Dearly Departed at Bonaventure CemeteryMy Profile

• You live the life, lady!!! I love it =)
    The Squishy Monster recently posted..Shopping Spree!My Profile