Strasbourg: Where We Tried to Speak French

My sister Arielle and me

Strasbourg with my sisters had its amusing moments, especially when it came to speaking French. Coming from Canada, we like to think we speak more of the language than we actually do. Our high-school French classes taught us to describe the weather, order pizza with an array of toppings, deliver presentations about Coco Chanel, but not much else.

Architecture of Strasbourg, France

So what do you do when you find yourself in Strasbourg with a handful of garbage and not a trash bin in sight? You approach a restaurant owner and in your best French ask, “Oรน est le gar-bahhhj?”

That sounds French, non?

The woman looked back at us with a quizzical brow. “La poubelle?” she offered.

Pffft, la poubelle? What’s she talkin’ about?! “No, no madame. Le gar-bahhhj,” we repeated.

This went back and forth longer than I care to admit until she pointed us to the garbage bin.

What can I say, French clearly isn’t our forte.

French Cafes in Strasbourg, France

Ordering food didn’t go much better. We could decipher things like mushrooms, ham, and cheese, but we completely missed the part about our crepes being whole wheat and coming with a raw egg on top. Quoi?ย

So do you wait for the heat of the warm crepe to cook the egg, or do you eat it just the way it is? It was the latter… Mmm, bon appetit ma sล“ur! Ashley looks like she was loving her meal.

Crepes-with-raw-egg-French-food

Surely purchasing boat tickets to cruise down the Ill River would go much better?

Un billet s’il vous plait.

To which the woman behind the counter responded in a stream of German.

Deutsch? No, no! I want to practice my French.

I know I don’t sound very refined, but German, really? I am going to blame that one on the fact that Strasbourg lies minutes from the French-German border…or perhaps my French really is that bad.

Je ne sais pas. But travelling with my sisters sure was a lot of fun. Now I just have to lure them out to Asia for more language faux-pas like this one.

Buildings by the Canal in Strasbourg, France

If you’re looking to practice your Francais, you may want to check out prices on flights to La France atย cheapflights.co.uk. Bon voyage!

• Strasbourg looks really cute! It looks like it has German architecture which is cool. And it seems that they gave you a galette complete – a buckwheat crepe (typically from Brittany) that has ham and cheese inside and an egg on top. I have no idea why the egg is raw though… that’s gross.

And yes, my French is terrible despite living here I hate to say! I need to work on it.
    Ashley of Ashley Abroad recently posted..My First Day in France – A Warmest of WelcomesMy Profile

• Audrey says:

I loved the architecture in this city. It’s like a cute fairy tale village. And I’m sure your French is much better than mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Jackie D says:

I’m currently having the same woes in Mexico right now. Pretty sure that I was getting made fun of to my face at the airport in Mexico City while I smiled and nodded back at them. I guess I would have made fun of me too, though. That crepe looked… special — all it was missing was some spam, I think?

Clearly I just still cannot get over how much spam you have in your possession.
    Jackie D recently posted..Places: The Travel Section in Barnes & NobleMy Profile

• Audrey says:

Haha, crepes and spam! Now there is an idea. I haven’t opened any of it yet. I’ll probably end up using it to feed the stray cats in the neighbourhood.

• Ahaha this made me laugh. We are in Paris atm, and have ten years of “French education” between us. It hasn’t been as elegant and seamless as I might have imagined. I remember food vocab, Rob can form basic sentences, neither of us can understand a thing.
    Alli Campbell recently posted..Bukhara, Uzbekistan: Part #1My Profile

• Audrey says:

I find it easier to understand what people are saying than I do formulating my own sentences. I just can’t seem to remember the words I need when trying to express myself, even though I know I learned the words for it back in school!

• Hannah Margaret says:

Hilarious story. Classic language mix up with the raw egg. I know raw egg is my favorite crepe topping.

And the mix of French in this post is hilarious.
    Hannah Margaret recently posted..I can tell you a thing or two about Hyderabad, IndiaMy Profile

• Audrey says:

Mmm, isn’t it everyone’s favourite topping? ๐Ÿ˜‰ And the French you see in this post is kind of the extent of my language skills, haha

• Colleen Brynn says:

Yeah man, I need to get my Spanish up to speed, since I’ve been studying nothing but anatomy, histology, perception, optics and medical microbiology! BLERGH!
    Also, that egg looks totally narsty!!!
    Colleen Brynn recently posted..Four More YearsMy Profile

• Rika @ Cubicle Throwdown says:

My parents also do the “gahhr bahhhj” thing when we’re in Quebec too. Damn Canadian french education! I am hoping I have the chance to go to France before I forget all the French I learned. It looks like a really fun place to go with sisters!!
    Rika @ Cubicle Throwdown recently posted..Renovating the cubicle.My Profile

Sorry about the “raw” egg thing! It is actually cooked a bit. It surprised Feng as well, totally forgot to mention that French love to top pizzas and crรชpes with eggs and that they are never fully cooked in France, the way they are in North America. It’s so normal to me that I don’t think twice and don’t find it gross, but I understand why you made a face on the pic ๐Ÿ˜†
    Zhu recently posted..One Dragon Baby to Rule Them Allโ€”A Month Later, in NumbersMy Profile

• Audrey says:

Ooo, I’ve never encountered eggs on a pizza. That sounds…interesting. And my sister is the one making the face in the picture, I’m the blonde one up top, hehe. I should include photo captions. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• memographer says:

Enjoyed it! I don’t speak French… I wish I could ๐Ÿ™‚
    Fun pictures. Pic of Ashley rocks ๐Ÿ™‚ Bon appetit ma sล“ur!
    memographer recently posted..Rome Italy and Vatican CityMy Profile

• Ashley says:

Where is the mooning picture??
    It was one of the (twice) rare sights we caught that afternoon!!

I read this in class and had to contain my laughter!
    Ashley recently posted..Prayer and VolumeMy Profile

• Jessica says:

My boyfriend and I are Canadians too, and he definitely suffers from the “I-can-totally-speak-french” syndrome. He has this embarrassing habit of starting conversations with francophones, and only then realizing that he doesn’t actually speak enough French to have a conversation.
    Jessica recently posted..Where Has All the Good Wine Gone?My Profile

• Audrey says:

Thatโ€™s really funny. I always try using English in Quebec and if that doesnโ€™t work then I try a mish-mash of Frenglish and hand gestures. They seem to know what Iโ€™m getting at. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Salika Jay says:

Hahaha had a good laugh reading this post. It’s funny how Canadians like to think they are quite good at the language. Luckily I could use some French in Quebec but if I go to Strasbourg now, I would be in a bigger trouble trying to use French ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for a great read!
    Salika Jay recently posted..Happiest Airline Employees [Infographic]My Profile

• Sarah says:

Woah woah woah, so what you’re saying is, my grade nine French won’t survive in France?

Merde!
    Sarah recently posted..The Non-Localโ€™s Guide to Drinking Like a LocalMy Profile

• Amanda says:

Hahaha. A for effort, at least.
    Amanda recently posted..An Ode to Tacky SouvenirsMy Profile

• You expression shows me that you didn’t like that dish ? but it’s really funny to see your reaction .. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Susan @ Vacation Packages recently posted..Top Sizzling Vacation Spots Visited By CelebritiesMy Profile

• Suzy says:

Strasbourg looks like a charming place to make some language mistakes. I would be disappointed too if I order such a crepe. Ugh!
    Suzy recently posted..Dรผsseldorf, Germany Wishes You Were HereMy Profile

• Adrian says:

Let me tell you one thing, Speaking french is really really difficult. I had the similar experience while asking for Tissue papers and Alas.. It turned out something else which I can’t explain. But I like the experience of getting everything as a surprise(No matter whether it was Good or BAd ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) e.g. You had Raw egg dish .. I like Raw eggs ๐Ÿ˜› but seems like You didn’t like !! Right? Your forehead lines express it.

• Julika says:

I loved Strasbourg! One of the most gorgeous cities in Europe!
    I actually had the exact same experience with my French in Strasbourg. And I hated to be forced to speak German, because the German-French history is so biased there, and a lot of the older people are (legitimately) still hostile towards Germans…
    Nonetheless, Strasbourg is a wonderful destination!
    Julika recently posted..The Beautiful Island of Rab, Croatia – In PicturesMy Profile

• It’s funny to see how many of us Canadians seriously struggle with French after so many years of “French education”. I once tried to strike up conversation with a cabbie in Brussels and couldn’t find the words to respond to him properly in French (despite understanding what he asked). My wife, a quasi Franco-Ontarian, stepped in to thoroughly embarrass me and poignantly point out how woefully inadequate my French really was. I don’t think you are the only Canadian to feel this way, Audrey!

I’m not sure if this is typical but I’ve run across a ton of people while travelling that assume we all speak French as our first language. Have any other Canadians noticed this?
    Ryan @Treksplorer recently posted..Interview: Savannah Grace – Author and World TravelerMy Profile

• Suzzane from Travel Universally says:

seems like The chef wanted you to make you eat the Food of his choice ๐Ÿ™‚ By the way , let me ask you a simple and worthy question, please don’t mind for that…. Did you say thanks and paid tip to the waiter for that Raw egg? ๐Ÿ™‚

• smile says:

Nice try,,,

Me too when I was in College, I had a French-Language Subject (actually its optional, It’s not required on my course). I had hard time to learn this language.. But still I passed it. hmm… maybe it’s hard for me ‘coz I don’t have French-tongue ๐Ÿ˜›

• Michelle says:

Haha I know what you mean about not learning anything useful in Canadian high school French. I’m going to Strasbourg this weekend with another Canadian friend, so I’ll have to try to brush up on some French! (Hopefully I can get by speaking some German!)
    Michelle recently posted..London Calling: 5 Things I Love about London!My Profile

• Abby says:

That is hilarious! When I backpacked many moons ago, no one ever, ever, ever guessed we were Americans. We’d be walking down the street, and people would try to pass us fliers in Spanish, German, Italian, anything but English. Reading this brought back memories! PS I love that you have sisters!
    Abby recently posted..Anyone can do it: Race car driving in VegasMy Profile

• Ceri says:

Hahaha, every one of my friends who visited me in Mexico and couldn’t speak Spanish did something like this. They just put on a Mexican accent and ended the word in “o”.
    Ceri recently posted..The Next Big MoveMy Profile

• John says:

Yeah, I’ve been there. I studied abroad in France and it was rough at first until I started absorbing the language somehow (it just sort of happens – it’s kind of cool). Surprised you didn’t learn “poubelle” in school though – our trash bin in our classroom was always labeled that.

• Susie says: