Mornings in Melaka

by Audrey on March 7, 2013 · 32 comments

Audrey-Melaka-River-Malacca

Mornings in Melaka begin before the sun has even risen.

I am usually woken up by the call to prayer which echoes over Chinatown from the mosque just across the street. It used to startle me out of bed, but after a week here I have become accustomed to the resounding cry. Some days I even beat the imam to it and am already up brushing my teeth, having a shower, or eating dim sum for breakfast at the dumpling restaurant which sits directly across from the mosque.

Yes, dumplings for breakfast.

Dim-Sum-in-Melaka

There is a rather famous establishment which opens its doors at 5 in the morning and we are there soon after without fail. The crowd consists of locals grabbing a bite to eat before they head to work, and then you have us – the two Canadians with insatiable appetites.  This morning feast was one of our favorite things to do in Malacca.

Waiters come around carrying little dishes that hold little steamed treats and we choose everything that looks appetizing not really knowing what dumpling contains. It’s a guessing game where we’re sometimes able to decipher the contents, while other times we’re left to enjoy the flavours not really knowing what you’ve just eaten.

From there it’s time to explore the town. Some mornings we pick up a pair of rusty bicycles that run on one gear and cycle down to the Strait of Malacca, while others we lazily work our way up the riverbank which is lined with vibrant street art.

Audrey-street-art-in-Melaka

By 10 in the morning the sun starts burning over the city and it is time to take cover. We head to another cafe in Chinatown for our second breakfast (because I’m the kind of girl who likes eating 5+ times a day minimum) and order a toasted banana with honey and oats, along with a fresh fruit platter. I devour most of it while the boy is not looking, but hey, my food motto is ‘you snooze, you loose’.

Happy and fed it is time to head back to bed for a midday nap (we did get up early after all). The day’s activities won’t resume for several hours once it begins to cool down again.

Alana - Paper Planes March 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I love that first photo – hope you guys are having fun!
Alana – Paper Planes recently posted..>> Moment in: a Burmese Market >>My Profile

Audrey March 7, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Loving it so far, Alana! I’m kind of sad to be leaving Melaka at the end of the week, but also excited to explore a new city with a different flavour. :)

Vanessa March 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Woah, they have toasted banana with honey and oats in Melaka?? That sounds heavenly! Sounds like my favorite comfort food snack: spread some peanut butter on a banana/apple and top with raisins or granola… YUM!!!
Vanessa recently posted..Top 5 Awkward/Funny Things Koreans Have Said to UsMy Profile

Audrey March 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm

It was my first time trying a toasted banana and my taste buds were VERY impressed! It’s a new favourite. :)

cosmoHallitan March 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm

That sounds like heaven, especially the mid-day nap! :)
cosmoHallitan recently posted..Bearing Witness to Cambodia’s HolocaustMy Profile

Audrey March 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Hehe, hot weather is the perfect excuse for napping no matter what time of day. ;)

Stephanie - The Travel Chica March 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Sounds like the perfect morning.
Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Grandeur of Buenos Aires: The MonumentsMy Profile

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

It sure is! I’ve gotten used to this rather quickly. ;)

Maria March 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Wow! Breakfast as an event – love the concept!
Maria recently posted..Catch and ReleaseMy Profile

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Oh yes! If you only knew what my lunch(es) and dinner(s) look like… ;)

Sam March 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Oh my god, that sounds like my perfect day! Dumplings for breakfast: yes; lazy cycling: absolutely; second breakfasts: as often as possible; midday nap: always! Also, my body is just so much happier and loves me so much more when I eat 5+ times a day! Call me a pig if you must; I have high metabolism. (Please excuse my overuse of semi-colons!)
Sam recently posted..How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep in a DormMy Profile

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

Exactly! I blame all my eating on a ‘high metabolism’…but seriously, I just can’t help it when there are street snacks, food stands, and cafes and restaurants just outside my door! Eating is an attraction in itself. ;)

Rosie March 8, 2013 at 12:04 am

Melaka has sooooo much good food! I can’t remember the name of most places I ate, probably cos I ate so much. But if you haven’t already been there, Cafe Limau Limau has a great chicken mango sandwich (and cool decor).

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 10:55 am

Ooo, I haven’t been to that one yet! I’ll see if I can spot it. :) But yes, all the food here has been amazing!

Antoinette | love.antoinette March 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm

It’s the kind of morning everyone always wishes to have, but without having to rush to go to work or something. Simple morning where you greet the sun and not the other way around. Life’s simple pleasures :) I love it!
Antoinette | love.antoinette recently posted..Exploring Barranco in Lima: A Bohemian EnclaveMy Profile

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Yes, that’s absolutely what it comes down to – the simple pleasures! I’m loving it! :D

ITALIAN/Franca March 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Melaka, how we miss that city!
I loved dumplings for breakfast while there and, from your description, I believe we went exactly to the place you had yours.
We also had roti for breakfast some mornings, either a sweet version with banana (so good) or the usual one with veggie or meat curry (very good too).

Have you tried the roti or any Indian food yet?
ITALIAN/Franca recently posted..6 Months Travel Anniversary – Now What?My Profile

Audrey March 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Mmm, roti… :) I love Indian food but haven’t encountered much of it here. I hear it’s really easy to find in Penang, so I’ll be indulging in that soon!

memographer March 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Haa! dumplings for breakfast! I wish I was there :)
Looking model on the pic by a mural ;)
memographer recently posted..The Streets of BerlinMy Profile

Andrea March 8, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Oh wow – that’s a gorgeous setting…those dumplings look so yummy!
Andrea recently posted..Dog Sledding In Northern NorwayMy Profile

Maria Alexandra @LatinAbroad.com March 9, 2013 at 9:13 am

Pardon my ignorance, but where’s Melaka located again?! Haven’t visited your blog in a while ;)

– Maria Alexandra
Maria Alexandra @LatinAbroad.com recently posted..FriFotos: places I’ve called HOME around the world! (photo essay)My Profile

Audrey March 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

It’s in the southern part of peninsular Malaysia. :)

Sofie March 11, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I’m so glad there’s someone else out there doing Second Breakfast!
A concept taken to heart by Winnie the Pooh, and now, would you argue with Winnie the Pooh when it comes to food? I’d think not!
I should try dumplings some time…
Sofie recently posted..What to do on a plane – some tips and ‘tools’My Profile

Audrey March 17, 2013 at 9:12 pm

If Winnie the Pooh does it, then it must be right. I also remember reading about second breakfast in the Lord of the Rings. Now that confirms it. ;)

Ceri March 12, 2013 at 4:10 am

I love the way you paint your mornings – I’ve got such a clear image of what’s happening here. :) And yes to eating 5+ times a day. Hahaha!
Ceri recently posted..My MexicanismsMy Profile

kian Rackley March 12, 2013 at 8:57 am

Absolutely loved Melaka and really like this post. Often missed when people visits Malaysia.

Audrey March 17, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thank you, Kian! I’m glad I got to visit. It’s been one of my favourite places in Malaysia so far. :)

Jessica Hill March 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Sounds like a great vacation. I love dumplings for breakfast, and naps!
Jessica Hill recently posted..Back With My Ex: ThailandMy Profile

Happy Philippines March 13, 2013 at 6:24 pm

mornings made better! love the food in Malaysia. the last photo looks so cool! :)
Happy Philippines recently posted..Timeless Bolinao SightsMy Profile

facebook fans March 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Melaka has sooooo much good food….

TeacherGig July 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Ok… I kinda had to wipe drool off my keyboard at those dumplings. Morning dim sum is something I’ve never really done much outside Hong Kong, but it really does need to catch on.
Thanks for showing me a side of Melaka I didn’t get to see when I was there. I only took a day trip out of Kuala Lumpur (thanks to a very friendly local businessman who liked hanging out with the backpackers at a guest house). I saw some of the old streets, the old fort and such, but didn’t get much of an opportunity to see any more local fare, just the touristy stuff. Thanks for posting!
TeacherGig recently posted..Kindergarten / Nursery TeacherMy Profile

Katie @ Domestiphobia September 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm

It’s 8:13 here on the U.S. east coast. I’m choking down a green smoothie and thinking about dim sum. Thanks. Thanks a lot. ;)
Katie @ Domestiphobia recently posted..Once A Doodle, Always A Doodle.My Profile