The Old Port City of Jaffa in Photos

by Audrey on December 7, 2013 · 15 comments

If I had to pick the most scenic place I visited during my time in Israel, I would choose Jaffa.

This ancient city sits on a little outcrop along the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, and while it is surrounded by the modernity of Tel Aviv, Jaffa is a place that is very much frozen in time.

It’s a place of sturdy limestone walls and blue shutters, arched doorways and hidden alcoves, sloping alleys and winding staircases. It’s difficult to get lost here since the city is so small, but for a few brief moments it does feel like you’ve set foot in a complete different world.

Here are a few of my favourite photos from the place:

The architecture of Jaffa (Yafo), Israel.

Blue window shutters and blue skies in Jaffa.

An intricate doorway in Jaffa.

A hidden alcove in Jaffa, Israel.

Turquoise window treatment in Jaffa.

Sign pointing to Jaffa's port.

An empty alley in Jaffa (Yafo), Israel.

Doorways and verandas in Jaffa.

Another hidden alcove down an alleyway in Jaffa.

The House of Simon in Jaffa, Israel.

Yellow doorway with matching windows in Jaffa.

Coral flowers growing on the wall.

The ancient walls of Jaffa.

Gated doors in Jaffa.

What’s your favourite city to get lost in?

Beth December 7, 2013 at 6:53 am

All that ornate detail is beautiful on the doors and windows. Although I plan to someday visit Tel Aviv, I think I’d much prefer Jaffa!

Older cities are just more fascinating. :)
Beth recently posted..Foto Friday: Nature’s Zen Garden, MaldivesMy Profile

Renuka December 7, 2013 at 8:55 am

So pretty! I would love to visit Jaffa someday! Beautiful pictures. :)
Renuka recently posted..Mehrangarh Fort – A Photo Essay (Part One)My Profile

Audrey December 8, 2013 at 7:18 am

Hi Renuka, I highly recommend visiting if you make it to Tel Aviv. Jaffa is so small that you can easily cover it in a day. :)

Vid December 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Hey Audrey,

Our favourite city to get lost in has to be Rome. I know I know, it’s a huge city so one inevitably gets lost, but in Rome we loved how we stumbled upon intricately carved statues and historically significant buildings :)

Jaffa does look quaint and cute – bookmarked for the next trip :)

Vid
Vid recently posted..Offbeat Spain – The Malaga Feria, One For Your Bucket ListMy Profile

Audrey December 8, 2013 at 7:17 am

I bet Rome is amazing. I haven’t had the chance to travel there yet, but I’m sure I too could spend days wandering around and getting lost in it all.

Colleen Brynn December 7, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Lisbon!

Rachel of hippie in heels December 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

such brilliant photography! awesome!
Rachel of hippie in heels recently posted..8 Reasons to Try London AgainMy Profile

Jackie D December 8, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I LOVED Jaffa. I have that same picture of the “To the Port” sign. I’m not sure which city is my favorite to wander around, but it would probably be somewhere in France! Give me a French town and a chocolate croissant and I’m pretty much good to go.
Jackie D recently posted..Nikki Goes to AfricaMy Profile

Shaz December 9, 2013 at 2:07 am

Looks like somewhere I could stay a while, I love old building and bright colours :) Beautiful photos, I’ll have to visit someday.
Shaz recently posted..The Truth About Budget Cruises in Ha Long Bay, VietnamMy Profile

Agness December 9, 2013 at 4:20 am

Wow, like a fairy-tale place! I love these charming sturdy limestone walls and blue shutters, arched doorways and hidden alcoves!
Agness recently posted..Polish vs. Dutch people: How We Differ And What We Have In CommonMy Profile

Rashad Pharaon December 9, 2013 at 8:03 am

Small towns like Jaffa always make me fantasize about moving there, becoming a local and knowing everyone by name. Very much like the opening scene in “Beauty and the Beast.”
Rashad Pharaon recently posted..6 Cities Where Digital Nomads Live On The CheapMy Profile

Jeff December 12, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Beautiful shots Audrey. I would love to settle here in Jaffa. Its really a cool place.

Franca December 21, 2013 at 2:58 pm

The more I read about Israel and that part of the world, the more I’d love to go myself. Thanks Audrey for the inspiration :)
Franca recently posted..Weekend Photo Theme – Christmas MarketsMy Profile

Dennis Kopp January 7, 2014 at 2:27 am

Those are really great photos of a calm and peaceful, almost deserted looking city. The whole of Jaffa appears to be almost like a real life history museum, set in limestone and framed by casually opened blue shutters. I love especially the shot of the fake rusty window mirroring the fake blue window…

Thanks for the inspiration and I will make sure to remember visiting Jaffa when in close by Tel Aviv…
Dennis Kopp recently posted..Shwedagon Paya, the US Dollar PagodaMy Profile

Christina March 1, 2014 at 5:39 pm

These streets look gorgeous! Did you cab down to Jaffa from downtown Tel Aviv or is it walkable?
Christina recently posted..The Cliffs of Moher, IrelandMy Profile