Feeling the Christmas Spirit in Edinburgh

by Audrey on December 31, 2013 · 17 comments

Spending time in Edinburgh has felt like the Christmas I didn’t have in Thailand. While I am probably the wimpiest Canadian in history and shiver before the temperatures even hit below zero, I must admit, to me it doesn’t feel quite like Christmas until you can see your breath in the air, the Christmas decorations are up, and I’m wearing my thermals and wool socks. That’s why winter in Edinburgh has felt like such a treat! While the Christmas holiday may already be over, the festive spirit can still be felt around the city.

On our first day in Edinburgh, Sam and I walked around the city without the slightest inkling of what we were looking for, and yet we managed to end up at Edinburgh’s Christmas Market. Families were ice-skating, Christmas carols were playing, and the menu was decidedly festive with plenty of mulled wine, hot chocolates, German sausages, fondue and Apfelstrudel. It was Christmas at last!

Here are a few festive shots from my first day wandering around the city:

Red door with a Christmas wreath in Edinburgh.

Red door with a Christmas wreath in Haymarket.

Shops along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Festive looking shops along the Royal Mile.

St. Columba's Free Church of Scotland and a very red door.

In front of St. Columba’s Free Church of Scotland, which has a very cheery door.

Walking along Edinburgh's Royal Mile.

Walking down the cobble streets of the Royal Mile.

A giant Christmas tree inside Edinburgh Castle, Scotland.

The Christmas tree inside Edinburgh Castle.

Giant red ferris wheel in Edinburgh.

The big ferris wheel. Awesome views of the city, but a little scary if you don’t like heights!

Winter ice-skating in Edinburgh.

Ice-skating in the city centre.

Festive hot drinks at the Christmas Market.

Warm drinks at the Christmas market. They also had mulled wine and hot toddys.

Edinburgh's Christmas Market.

Hand-crafted tree ornaments at the Christmas market.

A fortune teller at Edinburgh's Christmas Market.

A fortune teller, perhaps foretelling what’s to come in the New Year.

Hot toddys, apple cider, and mulled wine at the Christmas Market.

More festive drinks at the Christmas market.

Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Because whiskey in Scotland is spelled ‘whisky’.

Samuel and Audrey - classic shot.

And a classic Sam and Audrey shot.

And that’s a little taste of my time here so far. Tonight is New Year’s Eve and I can’t wait to see what the city has in store! I will be all bundled up, dancing to keep warm, and eagerly awaiting the fireworks. I hope you all have a wonderful time ringing in the New Year wherever you may be celebrating. Have a good one! : )

* * *

#blogmanay is brought to you by Edinburgh’s Hogmanay and is supported by ETAGEventScotland,
Homecoming ScotlandVisitScotlandEdinburgh FestivalsMarketing EdinburghHistoric Scotland and
co-creators Haggis Adventures. Created and produced by Unique Events.

Brittany December 31, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Make sure you blog about NYE there. I always enjoy reading how other people or countries celebrate. Loving the fortune telling stand. You should of got your fortune read!
Brittany recently posted..Favorite Blogs ContinuedMy Profile

Audrey January 2, 2014 at 7:28 am

I will. It’s been a whole series of celebrations over here – the New Year’s festivities last several days! :)

Maria December 31, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Looks like the Scots really know how to celebrate the season and the classic Sam and Audrey shot is hilarious –
Maria recently posted..Haiku – Sustenance of LifeMy Profile

Audrey January 2, 2014 at 7:38 am

They do! The parties have been going on for days! I’m going to need a looong nap once this trip is over. Wishing you a great start to the new year. :)

Chaitra January 1, 2014 at 7:28 am

Audrey, you look like a cat :D

Kara January 1, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Happy New Year, Audrey and Sam! I love how the new year seems to bring the whole world together, with each time zone getting its moment to shine, each corner of the world celebrating in its own way. A global experience we can all enjoy :) Here’s hoping Edinburgh is the perfect start to 2014!

Audrey January 2, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thanks Kara. Edinburgh has been a really fun place to ring in the New Year. I hope you had a great time celebrating in your corner of the world. :)

Michelle January 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Looks pretty magical! Happy New Year to both of you! Can’t wait to see what adventures are in store for you guys!

Audrey January 2, 2014 at 7:30 am

Thanks Michelle! I hope you also had a great time celebrating the holidays.

Agness January 2, 2014 at 4:06 am

Christmas spirit is everywhere here!!!!!
Agness recently posted..5 Tips to Travel with an Extremely Tight BudgetMy Profile

Audrey January 2, 2014 at 7:29 am

I hope you guys had a nice Christmas in China, Agness! Wishing you all the best in the year ahead. :)

James Shannon January 2, 2014 at 9:08 am

Wow, I could feel the Xmas spirit radiating through my laptop … and don’t worry about feeling like a wimp, SE Asia will break anybody’s internal thermostat, especially after spending months and months where the temp doesn’t venture out of the double digits! :)
James Shannon recently posted..Happy Holidays From The Pursuit Of Excitement!My Profile

Jeff January 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

Celebrations are everywhere. Looking forward to more surprises from you guys.
Jeff recently posted..5 Tips for Credit Card Management and On-Time PaymentsMy Profile

Bill Fischer January 2, 2014 at 7:12 pm

It does look much more festive there. Especially the ‘Scotch Whisky Experience’. You know they take their drinking seriously when a building is named for it ! Great selfie of you two !!

Hogga January 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm

happy new year!
Hogga recently posted..Why Everyone Should Go Eat a PeckerMy Profile

Angela January 3, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Edinburgh looks super festive! I love all the red colors in your pictures.
Angela recently posted..2013 Travel Round UpMy Profile

Backpacking Panda January 5, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Looks like a great place with carming streets and happy Christmas spirit! have fun!
Backpacking Panda recently posted..Art Inspired by ChinaMy Profile