Join That Backpacker’s Writing Team
We are hiring! Five years ago I started ThatBackpacker.com as a place to document my travels around the world, but since then the blog has grown into something much bigger and it has become a resource for travellers seeking information and inspiration to help them plan their own travels.
I want this blog to continue to be a great resource, however, I’m not able to cover all the amazing destinations out there, and that is why I’ve decided to expand the team. This year we’ll be taking on a small group of travel bloggers to create engaging content, inspire would-be travellers, and grow alongside That Backpacker.
Our main audience is made up of 18-34 year olds, of which 60% are female and 40% are male. We are looking for bloggers to produce articles that cover interesting destinations, offer travel tips, and share unique activities and adventures you can have on the road.
If this sounds like you, read on!
- Currently based or travelling in: Europe, Southeast Asia, Central America, South America
- Must be a native English speaker or have near native fluency
- 2+ years of blogging or online writing experience with a focus on travel required
- Ability to write 2 blog posts per month, and commit to joining the team for a 6 month period
- Strong photography skills are a must (experience shooting with a DSLR preferred)
- Articles must be accompanied by your own photography (or sourced and credited photos when appropriate)
- Knowledge of WordPress and SEO
- Excellent spelling and grammar
- Ability to fact-check and do research when required
- Must be able to meet regular deadlines while working independently
- Resonance with That Backpacker’s brand and voice
- A passion for travel!
How to apply
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- A short paragraph about yourself listing: the regions you’d like to write about, relevant experience, and what makes you a good fit for this position
- 3 examples of articles you’ve already written
- 3 ideas for blog posts you’d like to contribute to That Backpacker
- Links to examples of your photography
- Links to your social media channels
These positions are on a freelance basis. Writers will be paid via PayPal per published article. Rates and specifics will be discussed with potential candidates.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.