This is where you’ll find all our blog posts about travel in Turkey! If you’re starting your trip in Istanbul, I suggest reading this list of 50 things to do Istanbul, plan to attend a whirling dervish ceremony, and feast on tea and Turkish delight at Hafiz Mustafa. If you have time for one more destination, make it to Cappadocia, where you’ll discover an other-worldly landscape of fairy chimneys and floating hot air balloons.
Turkey is a fascinating country located at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, and vibrant culture. Here are some suggestions for places to visit and things to do in Turkey:
- Istanbul – This vibrant city is Turkey’s cultural and economic center, and is home to many iconic landmarks, such as the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the Grand Bazaar. Be sure to also visit the Topkapi Palace, the Basilica Cistern, and take a cruise along the Bosphorus Strait.
- Cappadocia – This unique region in central Turkey is known for its stunning landscapes, including fairy chimneys, underground cities, and rock-cut churches. Be sure to take a hot air balloon ride at sunrise, explore the Goreme Open Air Museum, and hike the Rose Valley.
- Ephesus – This ancient city on the western coast of Turkey is one of the best-preserved Greco-Roman cities in the world. Be sure to visit the Temple of Artemis, the Library of Celsus, and the House of the Virgin Mary.
- Pamukkale – This natural wonder in southwestern Turkey is known for its white travertine terraces and hot springs. Be sure to visit the Hierapolis Archaeological Site, swim in the Cleopatra Pool, and take a dip in the Pamukkale Thermal Pools.
- Antalya – This coastal city on the Mediterranean Sea is a popular destination for beach-goers and sun-seekers. Be sure to visit the Old Town, the Antalya Museum, and take a boat tour along the coast.
- Mount Nemrut – This ancient mountain in southeastern Turkey is known for its giant stone heads and stunning sunrises. Be sure to visit the Nemrut Dag National Park, hike to the summit, and explore the surrounding ruins.
- Bodrum – This coastal city on the Aegean Sea is known for its stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and lively nightlife. Be sure to visit the Bodrum Castle, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, and the Bodrum Amphitheater.
- Turkish Cuisine – Turkish cuisine is known for its delicious mezze, kebabs, and baklava. Be sure to try traditional dishes such as meze platters, lamb kebabs, and Turkish delight, as well as regional specialties such as pide and lahmacun.
- Turkish Baths – Turkish baths, also known as hammams, are a traditional bathing experience that dates back centuries. Be sure to indulge in a relaxing hammam experience, which typically includes a steam bath, body scrub, and massage.
- Turkish Markets – Turkey is known for its vibrant bazaars and markets, where you can find everything from spices and textiles to pottery and jewelry. Be sure to explore the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, the Kemeralti Market in Izmir, and the Spice Bazaar in Antalya.