My 7 Favourite Places in Southeast Asia!

by Audrey on April 23, 2014 · 76 comments

After almost a year spent travelling in Southeast Asia, it’s time to do a wrap up of some of the best places I visited. I didn’t notice until I after I finished writing this, but there’s a clear theme in the kinds of destinations I enjoyed. Most of these places had a quiet, laid-back feel, a dash of culture, and beautiful natural landscapes. Here are my 7 favourite places in Southeast Asia:

Temples and lanterns in Melaka, Malaysia.

Melaka, Malaysia

I loved Melaka! This was the first place I visited on my trip around Southeast Asia, and it set the bar high for everything else that came after that.

What I liked about Melaka is that it oozed Old World charm. I stayed in the heart of Chinatown – a multicultural neighbourhood where Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism often coexisted on the same road. The streets where lined with mosques and temples, I was usually woken up by the call of prayer in the early hours of the morning, and I could always smell incense the minute I walked out the door.

Another thing I liked about Melaka is that it’s very artistic. If you’re ever up early in the morning, take a stroll along the waterfront and gaze at the masterpieces that street artists have created.

Where I stayed: Kawan Kawan Guest House -  This was a cute family run guesthouse in a great location in Chinatown. They had a mix of private rooms with en suite bathrooms, as well as private rooms with shared bathrooms. The latter were a more budget friendly option, but even the shared bathrooms were kept incredibly clean a tidy!

Singapore: artistic, innovative, and liveable!

Singapore

Singapore completely took me by surprise! I had been doing quite a bit of reading about the destination prior to coming here, and the general consensus seemed to be that Singapore was a bland, orderly, over-surveilled city with serious repercussions for anyone who steps out of line. While there may be a sliver of truth behind that, I found Singapore to be exciting, vibrant, artistic, and full of joie de vivre!

The architecture behind places like the Gardens by the Bay and the Marina Bay Sands was mind blowing, the colourful buildings along Clarke Quay brightened up the riverside, and the Arab Quarter of Kampong Glam won me over with its delicious cuisine. After a year in Southeast Asia, the clean streets and orderliness of it all were something I could really appreciate.

I also noticed that people in Singapore really enjoy their down time and there are always events going on to lure you into the city. I was only in Singapore for a few days, but they happened to coincide with the Mosaic Music Festival (where I got to watch a cool indie band hailing all the way from South Korea!), the Savour Food Festival fit for any gourmand, and there were also free outdoor concerts happening on at the Gardens by the Bay where people came with their families to enjoy a picnic and music on a Saturday night – I got to watch the Singapore Symphony Orchestra play songs from the Sound of Music for free!

To me, Singapore seemed like a very liveable city, and I’d come back in a heartbeat!

Where I stayed: Fragrance Hotel Sapphire - This was one of the most affordable properties I found in Singapore! The rooms were very modern and clean, and even though breakfast was not included, there were a whole range of Chinese and Indian restaurants just a few steps away.

A 2 day hike through the hillside in Sapa, Vietnam.

Sapa, Vietnam

Okay, so Sapa is a little touristy in the sense that you will be accosted by the local Hmong women as they forcefully try to sell you bracelets and purses, but if you can get past that, Sapa truly is amazing!

I finished off my month long trip of Vietnam with a visit to Sapa, and it was a welcomed change in scenery (hills!) and weather (cooler temperatures!). I booked myself at the Mountain View Hotel, which as the name suggests had some spectacular views, and I spent a few days wandering the town and visiting the local villages on foot.

I also signed myself to do a 2-day guided trek and it was one of the highlights of my time in Vietnam! The best way to enjoy the natural beauty of this place is to trek through the hills and rice terraces, and do a local home stay. We had a pretty cool group of travellers on our hike so it made the experience even better.

Where I stayed: Mountain View Hotel - As you can probably tell from the photo above, this hotel had some spectacular mountain views. It was definitely worth upgrading to the mountain view rooms for just a few extra dollars. Also, the staff here were extremely kind and helpful – especially when one of us came down ill.

Silk lanterns, food markets, and tailors in Hoi An, Vietnam.

Hoi An, Vietnam

Hoi An was the picture perfect town that made me extend my stay. Colourful silk lanterns swinging from the storefronts, delicious local dishes made from secret recipes, and a charming waterfront that came to life every night. What’s not to love?

Another thing I liked about Hoi An is that it was easy to escape to the countryside or even the beach. One of my favourite finds was the Tra Que Herb Village; a unique organic farming village that had its own little restaurant where they cooked with homegrown spices, vegetables, and herbs – everything was delicious!

And, did I mention that Hoi An is best known for its tailor shops? This is a shopper’s paradise!

Where I stayed: Vaia Boutique Hotel - This property was proof that you can enjoy luxury on a budget. The hotel was brand new with a very sleek design, and it was also very affordable. They served a really nice breakfast in the mornings, and they also had free bikes that guests could borrow during the day.

A little shack and in the countryside of Pai, Thailand

Pai, Thailand

I thought Chiang Mai had a very relaxed hippie vibe to it, but then I went to Pai – they take things to a whole different level!

I honestly can’t say there is a lot ‘to do’ in Pai, but that’s what I liked about – it’s the kind of place where you can just hang out, enjoy the natural beauty of the place, eat really great food, curl up on a hammock with a good book in hand, and maybe cross the bamboo bridge over to the Sunset Bar which looks a lot like a hangout for Peter Pan and the Lost Boys.

My time in Pai was all about relaxing for a few days, so I rented a little thatched bungalow overlooking the rice fields and it was the kind of place I just didn’t want to leave.

Also, while traffic in Southeast Asia if for the most part insane, Pai is the one place where I felt confident renting a scooter. I was staying in the outskirts of town where the roads meandered through the countryside with hardly another vehicle in sight, so I broke my no scooter rule, and set out to explore hillside. It was wonderful!

Where I stayed: Pai Chan Cottage - Pai Chan Cottages were located just outside of town, which was only a 5 minute walk to all the bars and restaurants.  The property had great views of the rice fields and the mountains in the distance, and they also had a pool where you could cool off in the afternoons.

Visiting temples and rice terraces in Bali.

Bali, Indonesia

I came to Bali to relax, so beaches and a nice swimming pool were all I was really after, and the island certainly delivered in that respect!

If you have preconceived notions of Bali being a secluded island paradise, you are going to be disappointed by this island, however, if you come here for a beach holiday sprinkled with a bit of culture and natural beauty, then you might just enjoy this place.

Ubud is considered the art and cultural capital of Bali, so you may want to spend a few days here – go to the Ubud Monkey Forest, attend a Fire Dance, visit the temples, and stray down the side streets in search of rice paddies – but a few days is really all you need. Ubud has a bit of a traffic problem and it’s teeming with tourists in search of their own Eat, Pray, Love experience.

After a few days in Ubud (and climbing a volcano!) it was beach time for me. I chose Sanur on the southeastern shores of the island and was very happy there. There are plenty of great beaches to choose from in Bali – just don’t go to Kuta; that’s considered the backpacker ghetto and the beach is covered in garbage.

Where I stayed: Jalan Jalan Villa & Spa in Ubud and Swastika Bungalow in Sanur. - The first property in Ubud was located slightly outside of town, so it was quiet and great for a few days of relaxing and wandering around rice paddies. They also had a really great breakfast with lots of fresh juices and tropical fruits, and it was a short walk to the Monkey Forest. The second property was located in the centre of Sanur and it was a short walk to the beach. What I loved about this second hotel is that they had 3 different swimming pools to choose from!

A little bit of French charm in Luang Prabang, Laos.

Luang Prabang, Laos

Luang Prabang is another one of those places that I was sad to leave behind. I loved the French colonial elegance of the place, the misty mornings along the river, the presence of young monks running down the street in their orange robes, the restaurants who were pushing the limits and experimenting with their cuisine – The Apsara and Tamarind being two of my favourites!

The town had a very sleepy feel, but that seems to be what I enjoy these days. If you’re planning a trip to Laos, be sure to save a few days for Luang Prabang.

Where I stayed: Oui’s Guesthouse - This was a nice property located on a quiet street right on the riverfront. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very attentive, and they served a delicious omelet breakfast in the mornings.

And that sums it up! I certainly didn’t get everywhere I hoped I would this year – Burma, Bangladesh, and the Philippines will have to wait for another time – but now that I’ve had a taste of Southeast Asia, I’m sure I’ll be back again in the future.

How about you?
What are some of your favourite destination in Southeast Asia?

Alison April 23, 2014 at 10:26 am

Great list! Need to see so much more of this great big world! Totally agree with Hoi An. We loved the vibe and the charm of the city. Tra Que Water Wheel was one of the most delightful places on our entire Vietnam trip.

As far as other of my favorite SE Asia destinations, I definitely loved Koh Mook in Thailand. It’s an island waaaay south of Phuket and off the tourist trail. There is one main beach but there were hardly any other people there. Just pure paradise!
Alison recently posted..6 reasons why you should visit GuatemalaMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:46 am

Koh Mook sounds nice! I stayed in Patong Beach when I went to Phuket so I didn’t enjoy it as much. I found the town so seedy, so I spent most of my time enjoying the pool and the private beach at the resort. I feel like I need to give the Southern Thai islands a second go!

helen April 23, 2014 at 10:42 am

Yes! Thank you for this list, just got to Asia and am looking for travel inspiration!
helen recently posted..The Cost of living in Queenstown for a seasonMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:47 am

Awesome! I hope you enjoy the region. Southeast Asia is a lot of fun! :)

Jen Seligmann April 23, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I simply love Singapore. I read the same things as you about it before I visited the first time and a few people actually turned their noses up at me for visiting (some of them have since been and loved it, ha). Its such a diverse city with so many interesting and fun things to see and do.
Jen Seligmann recently posted..Where in the World Wednesday #13My Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:47 am

I’m glad to hear you had a positive experience in Singapore. It’s a destination that often gets overlooked, but I thought it was so worth the visit!

Rachel of Hippie in Heels April 23, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Ah, dying to get to Bali. I have to say, I am still deciding on Singapore. I enjoyed so much of it, but I did feel like it lacked a certain homey touch, & unless I was making loads of money I wouldn’t be able to have enough fun living there!
Rachel of Hippie in Heels recently posted..17 Reasons I Love the Cows in India (Even Though One Tried to Kill Me)My Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:50 am

I see your point, I definitely found Singapore to be on the pricier side (though it’s even worse here in Australia!). That’s one of the reasons why my visit to Singapore was also a brief one.

Dennis Kopp April 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Audrey, that really is a great list and I am totally with you on Luang Prabang, Hoi An, Melaka and of course beautiful Bali. Sapa and Pai are two places that I haven’t been to yet, but since they sound really good in your description, I will make sure to remember especially Pai when visiting Thailand again. What I would add to the list would be Bagan and some of the villages in Myanmar as they were not only great places to visit, but they also completely redefined the term Southeast Asia for me… :)
Dennis Kopp recently posted..15 Ways to Travel Myanmar like a LocalMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:51 am

I would have loved to visit Bagan! That’s the one place in Burma that I most wanted to visit, so I was a little disappointed I didn’t make it there this time around. I’ll have to prioritize Burma next time I come back to the region.

Colleen Brynn April 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Even though you say there is a common theme throughout, it seems like each of these destinations offers something unique, and I like that… this is a great list for someone who has never been to SE Asia before (me!)… can’t wait to go. My boyfriend is now starting to talk it up after I took him backpacking last summer, and that would be an awesome trip to do with him!
Colleen Brynn recently posted..The Sky Is FallingMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:52 am

YES!!! Sounds like you converted him into a backpacker. ;)

Heather April 23, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Great overview! I’ve only been to two places on this list – Singapore and Luang Prabang – and they are among my favorites as well! I also really enjoyed Chiang Mai and Ho Chi Minh City. I could easily see myself living in any of those four locales. And once I make it to Malaysia and Indonesia, I’m sure I’ll fall in love all over again :-)
Heather recently posted..The Big Reveal: We’re Moving to LATVIA!My Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:54 am

Oh, HCMC! I didn’t include it because I found it a little bit too chaotic, but at the same time I loved its big parks and night markets. I also ate some of the best food there!!

Micamyx|Senyorita April 23, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hope you get to visit the Philippines next. I’ll be waiting :D
Micamyx|Senyorita recently posted..Ibis Singapore on Bencoolen Hotel ReviewMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:54 am

I know, I know, I owe the Philippines a very loooong and thorough visit! ;)

Fiona April 23, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Loved Melaka too when I was there. Cannot wait to go back and travel more in SE Asia before I feel like I’m too old.
Fiona recently posted..Since I’ve been home……………………My Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:55 am

You’re never too old! We just finished backpacking around SE Asia with my boyfriend’s parents. They are in their 60s, but they strapped on their backpacks and joined us for 2 months of travel! :D

Fiona April 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Amazing, they are an inspiration.
Fiona recently posted..Where do I belong?My Profile

rebecca April 24, 2014 at 12:42 am

SEA is such a big place I can never decide where I want to go. This is a great listing!
rebecca recently posted..Oxford day trip comicMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:56 am

I hope it provides some inspiration!

Christine | GRRRLTRAVELER April 24, 2014 at 3:12 am

I’d say that roundup is a good one for SEAsia. Haven’t been to Singapore for some of the exact reasons you listed. But it’s good to know it’s got some interesting things to explore and lately I’ve been seeing photos of some cool architecture. I’ll have to put it back on my travel list.
Christine | GRRRLTRAVELER recently posted..Teaching in Korea: EPIK vs a hagwon, which is better?My Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 3:57 am

Yeah, Singapore was a lot pricier than my wallet had become used to while travelling in SE Asia. However, I think it’s worth the visit even if it’s just for a couple of days. Because it’s such a small city, you can actually cover most of the attractions in a very short amount of time.

Niesha S April 24, 2014 at 3:39 am

Ive always wanted to go to laos. A few friends have said there is nothing to do there. Would you agree? It looks beautiful but im not the hiking or trekking type.
Niesha S recently posted..I traveled to Thailand and all I got was a case of traveler’s remorseMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:02 am

Most towns in Laos are a lot sleepier than destinations in Vietnam or Thailand. If you’re craving that big city feel, then Laos won’t be your scene, but if you’re okay chilling out and enjoying slow life for a few days, then I highly recommend it. It’s quite a beautiful region.

Lisa - Wee Wanders April 24, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Saving all of your SEA tips for my travels starting this summer. I have to say, I can’t wait to see Pai after everything I have read about it, it really seems like my kind of place. My rough plan is to aim for there and see what happens!
Lisa – Wee Wanders recently posted..What to Wear in Abu DhabiMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:04 am

That’s great to hear, Lisa! I hope they provide some inspiration for your upcoming trip. And Pai is a great little spot. It’s too bad I didn’t head there sooner because I might’ve ended up living there for a few months as opposed to Chiang Mai. That’s how much I liked it!

Jonathan Look, Jr. April 24, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I love many of the places you mention. In fact, a few of them, Hoi An, Pai and Bali and among my favorite places on the planet! In fact I am visiting Bali, right now, for the second time. Not too keen on Singapore though. Maybe it will grow on me.
Jonathan Look, Jr. recently posted..How I Afford my LifeMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:06 am

That’s cool that you’re revisiting Bali! I only got to visit Ubud and a couple of the beach towns. What are some of your favourite spots on the island?

Agness April 24, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I also loved my stay in Singapore. Everything was so amazing from the food to the night view!
Agness recently posted..5 Steps To Eat Safely From Street VendorsMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:06 am

Totally agree with you! I loved the hawker food scene, and I also found a lot of great little Indian restaurants – yum!

A Montrealer Abroad (@marievallieres) April 24, 2014 at 6:07 pm

So many colours! I really want to visit Singapore one day.
A Montrealer Abroad (@marievallieres) recently posted..Luxury Escape at Hotel La FermeMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:07 am

It’s a very colourful city! Lots of pastel colours to brighten up the streets. :)

foongpc April 24, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Beautiful photos! Love all these places except that I haven’t been to Laos :)
foongpc recently posted..My Visit To Fort CornwallisMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:07 am

Thank you! I hope you get to visit Laos someday.

Amanda April 24, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I’m really bummed about not making it to Sapa and Pai on my first trip to Southeast Asia – must get to both those places next time!
Amanda recently posted..Speakeasy Travel Scarves: My New Favorite Travel AccessoryMy Profile

Audrey April 25, 2014 at 4:09 am

I know what you mean! I spent almost a full year in the region, and I still left feeling like I didn’t see everything I wanted to. I’ll definitely be revisiting at some point!

Francis April 25, 2014 at 4:09 am

Where’s the Philippines? :O

Audrey April 26, 2014 at 11:33 am

I know! Like I mentioned, I didn’t get to the Philippines this time around, but I’m certainly planning to visit in the future. :)

Francis April 28, 2014 at 9:11 am

Ahahah, ok xD you should definitely do!

Mat April 25, 2014 at 4:18 am

My favorite place: panglao island in Bohol, Philippines. Very relax.
Mat recently posted..Cinéma: 10 films à voir avant de partir en Asie du Sud-EstMy Profile

Renuka April 25, 2014 at 7:27 am

Pai and Melaka sound amazing to me! I’d love to visit Pai for its natural beauty and relaxed atmosphere. Even I like such places where I don’t have much to do. I like savoring the atmosphere.
Renuka recently posted..Cubbon Park Turns You Green With Envy – A Photo EssayMy Profile

John Hunter April 25, 2014 at 8:50 am

Very nice list, I haven’t finished mine stay yet but I would definitely add Siem Reap, Cambodia (Angkor Wat…) and Yogyakarta, Indonesia (Borobudur…) and Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia (jungles, orangutangs…). I liked Malacca but I would put those 3 above Malacca (same thing for Singapore) – for myself of course. I would keep Ubud, Bali, Indonesia on there. I plan on Vietnam and more Thailand and more Indonesia.
John Hunter recently posted..The Spice Kitchen Indian Restaurant in Bukit Indah, Johor BahruMy Profile

budget jan April 25, 2014 at 9:25 am

Hate to be a copycat but my favs coincide with your favs. But I haven’t been to Melaka. I remember reading your posts when you were there and making a mental note. It now has two asterisks in my mind. Definitely need to visit it’s old world charm.
budget jan recently posted..Fantastic Friday or Sunset over GallipoliMy Profile

The Guy April 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I’m with you Audrey on the criteria which tends to appeal. Aesthetically pleasing on the eye locations and not overcrowded or overrun as too touristy. I’ve not really visited many of the places you’ve selected but I can support Agness in the admiration of Singapore.
The Guy recently posted..Qantas International Business Class Lounge At Tullamarine AirportMy Profile

Mallory April 25, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Loving this post! I haven’t made it to Southeast Asia (though a trip to Thailand is currently in the works for December!), but I really want to go explore that part of the world. It looks so beautiful and also different from East Asia. I’d love to see the differences and similarities between here and SE Asia.
Mallory recently posted..Koyasan [Day 1]My Profile

Shaun April 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Great write up Audrey! I think many people are in agreement including me!

Sam- Bro, rockin the stash! :)
Shaun recently posted..The State Hermitage Museum – St. PetersburgMy Profile

Andrea April 25, 2014 at 11:24 pm

We loved Hoi An too–and we also extended our stay there! I’m guessing they see that a lot :) I’m so so sad that I didn’t make it to Pai–I was really hoping to go there and just did not budget enough time for it. Sad day! Next time for sure :)

Clarence April 26, 2014 at 12:58 am

Great post, Audrey!
I hope you can see the Philippines too…..hope some of my blog post will convince you :)
Safe travels!
Clarence recently posted..Sabang, Puerto Galera: Easy Get-Away at One of the Most Beautiful Bays in the WorldMy Profile

john obrien April 26, 2014 at 2:36 am

hello,yes it is a shame that more writers don’t include philippines as a destination.let me assure you as an australian retired in this country,everything you can do in the above mentioned places is here and generally better.sapa is a perfect example.the local people don’t hassle you either here in north luzon.the rice terracing is world heritage listed.beaches,mountains and volcanoes in volcanoes.in manila alone you can shop till you drop and so much cheaper than singapore.that’s enough for openers.

Justine April 26, 2014 at 3:20 am

I just wrapped up seven months in SE Asia. I started my journey off in Thailand, and Pai still sticks out as one of my favorite places. Haha, like you it was the first place I felt brave enough to rent a scooter. Maybe that’s why my experience was so special. I was able to see all of the city’s beautiful surroundings while cruising around on a motorbike. It was the best!
Justine recently posted..The Rugged Beauty and Laidback Charm of Nusa LembonganMy Profile

Hannah @getting stamped April 26, 2014 at 4:35 am

Great list, we have hit them all but Malaysian city. Hoi An was my favorite on your list. Happy travels :-)
Hannah @getting stamped recently posted..Going back to school: Thai Cooking Class in Chiang Mai, ThailandMy Profile

Escape Hunter April 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Lovely photos of colourful Singapore! I loved exploring that place myself… striking beauty everywhere. I could barely put my camera down.

Franca April 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I loved Melaka a lot too, in fact we supposed to stop there for only few days and ended up staying for two weeks instead.

Bennett - The Further Adventures of Bennett April 27, 2014 at 7:24 am

Definitely agree with you on the point about Singapore being so clean after Asia – for me, arriving there after 2 years in China was a fantastic experience. Really enjoyed all that Singapore had to offer, attractions and food-wise!
Bennett – The Further Adventures of Bennett recently posted..Sino-Sunday #17My Profile

Charli | Wanderlusters April 27, 2014 at 8:41 am

We’ve yet to explore Asia but your post is making me want to change our plans and head over there asap. We’ve been in New Zealand for the last 18 months and we are heading to the USA in May. it would be wonderful to see the vibrant cultures, architecture and delicious food you’ve showcased here!
Charli | Wanderlusters recently posted..Dive Sites That Will Inspire You To Save Our SeasMy Profile

Casey @ A Cruising Couple April 27, 2014 at 11:27 am

Great list! I loved Bali and Hoi An. Though they are both a bit touristy, they still have so much charm and culture. Though next time I go to Hoi An it’s with an empty suitcase to fill up ;)
Casey @ A Cruising Couple recently posted..North Face Resolve Insulated Jacket ReviewMy Profile

Jenia from HTL April 28, 2014 at 10:31 am

Its funny we’ve been traveling Asia for about 8 months now, and haven’t made it to most of the places on your list. Its amazing how long you can really spend exploring this region and still have so much to see, do, and experience! Some of our favorite places in this region have been Hpa-An – Myanmar, Koh Lanta – Thailand; Kampot- Cambodia; and Saigon – Vietnam.
Jenia from HTL recently posted..Month 8 RoundupMy Profile

Anna @ It Started in Asia April 30, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hey, great sum up – Bali is one of our favourites, and you’re right about Ubud getting over run following the whole eat, pray, love thing. But, there’s still much to see further afield (the west coast is less frequented – mostly surfers). Hoi An is a dream! The Mountain View hotel in Sapa was booked out (no wonder!) upon our visit, however there are great, budget rooms upstairs at the Village Noshery (their food is delicious, and if you need a good coffee it, they’re it). And, yep, Australia is expensive :)
Anna @ It Started in Asia recently posted..ESCAPE THE RAT RACE: Make Your Dreams A RealityMy Profile

Ryan May 1, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Pai!!! It is definitely one of my favorite places I’ve been in Thailand. I try to go every month actually. Love the vibe and also how relaxing it can be. I haven’t had a chance to go any of those other places yet but I will!
Ryan recently posted..The day I thought I’d be robbed in Thailand.My Profile

Sarah May 6, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Bali is def on top of my list too, not a shocker seeing that I chose to live there for a year. I really enjoyed Hoi An and Singapore as well. Still need to check out Pai, seems like a lovely place. Do you have a similar list for Latin America?

David May 8, 2014 at 2:21 am

I am most definitely going to travel solo in Southeast Asia after my first year in university… Thanks for showing me these amazing places that I should definitely visit! Did you visit the caves in Malaysia anyways??

Traveling Ted May 19, 2014 at 7:15 am

I was surprised by Singapore too. I spent three days there and two of the days I was hiking in jungles. MacRitchie Park and Pulua Ubin are two beautiful places to hike in. Hard to believe you could be in a Southeast Asian jungle during the day and then return to the ultra modern city at night.
Traveling Ted recently posted..Excited to use my Intel Tablet this summer #tabletcrewMy Profile

Daryl May 21, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Wow – I have not done Southeast Asia yet but have been wanting to for some time! I’m bookmarking this page to come back to when I begin planning.

<3 Daryl
Unlost
Current Post: Foodie Travel – Let’s Talk About Buffalo Wings.

Juan - Myanmar May 23, 2014 at 11:41 am

Great choices Audrey!
I was hoping to see Myanmar on the list. MAybe your number 8? ;)

Great page and photos! Congratulations!
Juan
Juan – Myanmar recently posted..NEED Eco Village Foundation in MyanmarMy Profile

Becca May 25, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I was in Southeast Asia earlier this year, and I loved Hoi An as well! We rented bikes and spent time cycling around town and beyond – it was beautiful. I’d love to get to some of the other destinations you mentioned too. So much to see, so little time!

Kyle June 1, 2014 at 12:18 am

Nicely compiled list! I love Hoi An and I really want to check out Pai. Looks like a little piece of paradise.

My favourite spot in SE Asia is probably the laid back and spirituality-infused northwest coast of Koh Phangan in Thailand.
Kyle recently posted..How To Get A Liberal Arts Education (Without Going To University)My Profile

Chris @ One Weird Globe June 1, 2014 at 3:38 am

I so need things to do – specifically, the weird and wacky sort of places. Funny – my wife and I lived in Chiang Mai for 6 months, and not once did we have the urge to check out Pai. It’s good to hear it’s relaxed, though. Agree on Malacca / Melaka; haven’t yet been to Singapore yet…
Chris @ One Weird Globe recently posted..Thailish, part 9My Profile

Bron June 1, 2014 at 4:51 am

I loved reading your favourite spots. They are some of my favourite too, but I’d swap Singapore for Siem a Reap xx very keen to explore Laos one day too! Beautiful pics xx

Shikha (whywasteannualleave) June 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Melaka and Bali are the two on here I most want to do – I love the idea of Bali having so many different facets, including culture, outdoorsy activities, beaches etc – I’m so jealous that you’ve seen so much of South East Asia, which is one of my favourite parts of the world!!! :-)
Shikha (whywasteannualleave) recently posted..Honeymooning in Tanzania at the Selous Serena Luxury CampMy Profile

Oliver June 8, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Fantastic list indeed! Luang Prabang, Hoi An and Melaka would make it to my personal list of gems in SEA as well. And reading about and seeing the pictures from Pai and Sapa make me realize that we probably missed out while travelling in this part of the world a few years ago. The picture of your room in Sapa looks stunning! I probably would have risked to not leave the country before the visa expired…
Thanks for bringing back some lovely memories and happy travels!!

Christina July 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I totally agree on your list! Hoi An was definitely ma favorite city in Vietnam, and I still regret the fact that I couldn’t go to Pai … such an amazing little city. I see you’ve been to Laos, have you been to Huay Xai to do the Gibbon Experience? If you ever consider to go back to Laos, you should definitely experience this adventure! It’s such crazy and unique. I can suggest you to read my post about the reason why you should do it. http://www.myrainbowtravel.com/?p=80 I would love your feedback! Also, keep going! Great job for your blog!

Korinne July 13, 2014 at 7:52 am

You should visit the Philippines next time! There are a lot of beautiful places there. And a lot of stores to buy souvenirs too. You won’t regret visiting Philippines! =)

Maria Falvey August 17, 2014 at 6:27 am

Love your photos from Sapa, Vietnam so much it’s a must see for me.
My favorite SE Asia spots are both in Cambodia – Ream National Park and Kampot.
Maria Falvey recently posted..Symbols of ProgressMy Profile